Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Preparing for Takeoff! (Post 1)

     Ever since I was a little kid, I've though planes were the coolest things ever. I mean, think about it. A chunk of metal can fly. This fascination has carried with me and grown over the years, until the point where I started flying in games, with varying levels of realism. Now, I wish to take it to the 'next level,' and start flying in a full simulator. 

     Over the next few weeks, I'll be learning how to fly various WWII aircraft, both in and out of combat situations. I'll be focusing on three aircraft, each one with a different role in the war. First, the Il-2 Sturmovik, a Soviet ground-attack aircraft. Then, the B-25 Mitchell, a all-purpose, American-made medium bomber. Finally, the BF-109, the Luftwaffe's workhorse as a fighter. Each one has its own flight characteristics, and it will be difficult to fly them. But, once I can, I'll be in a position to fly just about anything. 

     Each cycle (6 weekdays), I'll be advancing in my climb as a pilot, starting from taking off and landing, and ending with a full combat mission, takeoff to landing. Each cycle will build off the skills refined in the previous one, allowing for a gradual build up of changeling, rather then immediately jumping into the furball. 

     As for resources, there are plenty out there. There's gun cam footage that I can use in order to look at exactly how an aircraft flies, look at documents for further documentation, and even interviews with veterans. In addition, there Sun Tzu's Art of War, which is designed for ground combat, but still applies to air combat. There's also the Dicta Boelck, which is very short, but gives a list of definite rules for Arial engagements. 

    I'm excited for this! It's going to be a challenge for sure. For each cycle, I'll be starting with the Sturmovik, as it's the easiest to fly, and finishing with the BF-109, which would be the most difficult to fly because it means fighting against other aircraft. Will I soar, or end up a piece of burnt metal on the ground? Only one way to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment